- Important reminders for this week:
- This is a short week for students-NO SCHOOL ON THURSDAY OR FRIDAY
- This week is the end of the first quarter. Report Cards will be coming home soon and Conferences will be held in early November. Look for sign-up information to come home soon.
- Tuesday-Math Homework and Library Day
- Picture Retakes will be on October 23
- October Big Boom will be on Halloween Day. Students may wear costumes to school that day and will participate in a costume parade.
- No Spelling Test this week due to the short week.
- We continue to work on Unit 2 in our reading series. Target skills for this unit:
- I can visualize when I am reading to increase understanding of the text.
- I can use clues from the story to determine character traits of the main characters.
- Next week's spelling words all have the long /o/ vowel sound. This week's words are: boat, coat, float, snow, flow, show, grow, below, yellow, raincoat A great website to use to practice the week's words is Spelling City. Here is a link to our class page: https://www.spellingcity.com/users/sjbaldwin
- In math, we are beginning a short unit on money. Students must be able to identify the coins and know their values, count sets of mixed coins, and show multiple ways to make a set of coins for a given value. This is a great unit for you to practice at home with real coins.
- Reflex Math is a site we use to work on basic fact mastery. By the end of this quarter, students are expected to master the addition and subtraction fact with 0, 1, or 2--count on or count back facts.
- The second At-Home Reading slip for October should be returned this week. The next slip will come home on Monday. Please help your child read for 15 minutes each night or for a total of 75 minutes each week. This is the level we will stay at for the rest of the year.
- Our Cardinal Code theme for this month is: "Cardinals Show Kindness." Each week a student from our classroom who demonstrates kindness receives a "Shout Out". The students who have received this honor this month are Drue and Maddy.
- Please feel free to contact me anytime throughout the year with any questions or concerns that you may have.